Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2012

Design - Noticing it everywhere

Just so everyone understands when I say "Design" I don't just mean Web Design so what I'm showing you today is that design is absolutely everywhere. As a designer I like to look all around me there is design both online and in the physical world.


Learn to be appreciative of the design around you because it's what helps make our world beautiful with a touch of the human aspect rather that natural beauty (which is still awesome).


This image is from a Denny's menu I went to last night. I saw the design and thought it was so beautiful with the colors contrasting from each other and the site of the Golden Gate Bridge. It has really good shapes that are recognizable by most all of us such as the white house right in front, then the white waves clashing against the rocks there at the bottom. 


Now I know that when I think of Denny's I think of home, partly because I live down the street from one, but mostly because it just screams America and this is what it is representing a Tour of America. Inside this awesome menu are some great designs just like this one with all sorts of different locations I really do suggest you taking a trip to your local Denny's to look at their designs if they carry the same thing. No I was not paid to talk about Denny's everything I'm saying is what I'm really thinking.


Other than the Denny's menu I see design everywhere I go. Just think of it like this, there are at least hundreds of new businesses started each year, all of those businesses will need a logo, sure not all make a logo but those who do succeed, and while the business is running it is more than likely they will make a sign for their business, a website, or anything really that has an image will need a design on it.


Another thing in design is fonts which is everywhere, yes there is design in your text it is called "typography" and is one of the most amazing types of designs, but I wont get into that now I will save that for another post. 


Keep your eyes open, if you see a design you like take a picture of it, you can send the picture to me by email at designlovescoding@gmail.com, but make sure you take something from the image, make sure you learn because there is no point in doing design if you aren't willing to continue learning for the rest of your life, design is constantly changing and adding new ways to see things and you could be one of those people who make a new style that becomes popular in design. 


Make sure you're not just seeing design you also have to live it by always opening up photoshop or illustrator and just designing, playing with colors, adding different fonts, just keep practicing.






tip: One thing I like to do to practice is find a design, put it in photoshop, and try to duplicate the effect by creating a new design with that same look. It's hard to do but it really helps you get the hang of things.


Thanks for reading guys be sure to subscribe to the feed and check back here every week for a new post and video.

No comments:

Post a Comment